The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the D.O.D. of the
linked web sites, or the information, products or services contained therein. For
other than authorized activities such as military exchanges and Morale, Welfare
and Recreation sites, the D.O.D. does not exercise any editorial control over the
information you may find at these locations. All links are provided consistent with
the stated purpose of this D.O.D. web site.
Privacy and Security Notice
- Desert Tortoise is provided as a public service by the US Fish & Wildlife Service.
- For site management, usage information is collected for statistical purposes. This government computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.
- Privacy Act Statement - If you choose to provide us with personal information – like filling out a Contact Us
form with e-mail and/or postal addresses – we only use that information to respond to your message or
request. We will only share the information you give us with another government agency if your inquiry relates to
that agency, or as otherwise required by law. We never create individual profiles or give it to any private
organizations. Desert Tortoise never collects information for commercial marketing. While you must provide an
e-mail address or postal address for a response other than those generated automatially in response to questions
or comments that you may submit, we recommend that you NOT include any other personal information, especially
Social Security numbers. The Social Security Administration offers additional guidance on sharing your Social
- For site management, usage information is collected for statistical purposes. This government
computer system uses software programs to create summary statistics, which are used for such purposes as
assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and
identifying system performance or problem areas.
- For site security purposes and to ensure that this service
remains available to all users, this government computer system
employs software programs to monitor network traffic to identify
unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or
otherwise cause damage.
- Except for authorized law enforcement investigations, no other
attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage
habits. Raw data logs are used for no other purposes and are
scheduled for regular destruction in accordance with National
Archives and Records Administration guidelines.
- Unauthorized attempts to upload information or change information
on this service is strictly prohibited and may be punishable
under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 and the National
Information Infrastructure Protection Act.
- If you have any questions or comments about the information
presented herein, please contact the Desert Tortoise Webmaster.
- Cookie Disclaimer - Desert Tortoise uses "persistent cookie" technology. A persistent cookie is a small text file that this website places on your computer so that it can remember you when you show up again later—kind of like cookie crumbs! (Hence the name.) We use persistent cookies to enhance your experience on Desert Tortoise while also protecting your privacy:
To get aggregate metrics on site usage to understand how people are using the site and how we can make it better. We use web metrics services to track activity on Desert Tortoise website. Government agencies only ever receive traffic statistics anonymously and in the aggregate.
Most Internet browsers automatically accept persistent cookies. Although we think using persistent cookies creates a much better experience for you, this site will also work without them. If you don't want to accept cookies, you can edit your browser's options to stop accepting persistent cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit; here's how to disable cookies. The Mojave Desert Ecosystem Program DOES NOT keep a database of information obtained from these cookies.